This exclusive varsity jacket, pays tribute to Daisy Bates and the Little Rock Nine of Little Rock, Arkansas.

Only 5 to be created.

  • Handmade detailing including custom lapel pins from Radical Dreams Pins

  • 80% ringspun cotton, 20% polyester heavyweight fabric body

  • 100% PU leather sleeves

  • Press stud closure

  • Hanging loop at back neck

  • Earphone cord feed hidden inside pocket

  • Hidden earphone loops inside collar

On September 23, 1957, the Little Rock Nine met at Daisy Bates' house, and were driven to Central High School. Governor Orval Faubus blocked the students from entering by posting National Guard troops at the entrance. After this incident, Bates sent a telegram to President Eisenhower, requesting support. Eisenhower responded by sending Federal troops to Little Rock to escort the black students.

On September 25th, the Little Rock Nine met at Bates' home and were escorted to Central High by the troops. When the students arrived at the school, they were verbally accosted by white mobs, and surrounded by hundreds of photographers and reporters. The students, backed with the encouragement and support of Daisy Bates and their parents, walked proudly into the building and withstood the abuse they received from white students and teachers throughout the school day. This became the routine. The students would meet at Bates' house before school and return there after school.

Bates remained the escort, advisor, and mentor for the students until they received the education to which they were entitled. On May 27, 1958, one of Bates' "nine," Ernest Green, became the first black to graduate from Central High in a class of 601 white students. Just a couple of months later, on July 7, 1958, a bomb exploded in front of the Bates' home on July 7, 1958. Amidst the violence directed at the students and herself, Bates never wavered.

She worked with the community Revitalization Project in Mitchelville, Arkansas to provide utilities, sanitation services, and educational opportunities for the citizens of this predominantly black city. She continued to remain involved in community activities in the black community until shortly before her death on November 4, 1999. 

sold out
Add To Cart